Monday, March 23, 2009

Outdoor Skills 101

After returning from Search I went straight to Kiwanis Park where Monica's Girl Scout troop participated in "Outdoor Skills 101." As always I'm a bit skeptical of GS activities (will it be hokey, disorganized, or pointless?) but I was pleasantly surprised. The girls rotated through different stations and learned the basics of first aid, knife safety, map and compass, hiking, fire safety, camping, and flag raising. Monica and her friends had a great time, despite the freezing weather. And now that she knows how to pitch a tent, I guess I will put her to work this summer at Parsons!

1 comment:

McMahan family said...

Someday when Emma is in GS, I will pay close attention so I can learn all those things, too. :) Don't laugh at me (at least not too loudly).

"A person travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

-George Moore