Thursday, April 16, 2009

Great Wolf Lodge!

We just returned home from an amazing vacation at Great Wolf Lodge resort, which is located just south of Olympia. We had an AWESOME time!


Monica was so excited all day getting ready to go. She packed her Polly Pockets and Minnie Mouse of course.


The kids were dying to go to the waterpark the moment we checked in. As Jack would say, "Wat-oh pak? Wat-oh pak?"

I really can't convey the scale of this place. It's a HUGE waterpark with activities for all ages. Some of the water rides even extend outside of the building, like the "Tornado" pictured above. Monica and Jack were too small to go on this one, but Anton and I tried it separately. I can truly say I've never been on anything like it. It was awesome!

At nighttime the kids attended story hour, which was kind of like an animated puppet show.



Bedtime was not a particularly popular activity. Having a tickle-fest on the bed with Dad was much more entertaining. We didn't get too much sleep, but the fun made up for it.


Okay, so true confession time: I loved the waterpark, the activities, and seeing the kids so happy. But MY favorite part? Walking 100 yards down the hall in my PJ's to Starbucks in the morning! And I didn't even have to bring my purse because the little armband they give you opens the door to your room, admits you to the waterpark, and charges anything you want to buy or eat... including Starbucks! Anton and I enjoyed sipping coffee and reading in bed for a while in the morning while the kids watched cartoons. But it wasn't long before they were aching to start the REAL activities for the day: trying out the treasure hunt magic wand thingy (which they did with Anton) and then another long excursion in the water.


Both kids loved the water slides. There were two just for Jack's size, a purple one and a blue one. He went on them over and over and over again, each time asking to do the other one next.

Jack also loved all the water squirters, buckets that dumped, and fountains that seemed to be everywhere you turned in the park.

Monica really liked the wave pool, even though she didn't fit in the innertube very well! And she went on EVERY ride she was old enough for. I thought she would be scared by some of the larger water slides but she loved them!

Thanks to Uncle Buck and Auntie Tina for the gift of this vacation. Anton and I aren't very good about planning such outings just for our family, but the time away together was wonderful and I know the kids will be talking about it for years to come. Monica already wants to come back!

1 comment:

McMahan family said...

So excited to see this! James has a conference for work at the Lodge next month and Emma and I are going to stay one night there. Where did you find the kids' life jackets? Do they have any there? Emma is so tiny (like 20 pounds), I wonder if I'll be able to find one for her. THRILLED to hear about the in-house Starbucks! I'm even more excited about this adventure now, thanks to your post. I wonder how much a 15-month-old will like all the water features...

"A person travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

-George Moore