Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Final blog from Cp

We are in our final week of the summer and tomorrow I had into town for three days of meetings at Kennedy. I'll be back up Friday night and then we move home on Sunday. The last part of the summer really flew by, much more so than the beginning. And while I love the start of school year, meeting my classes, seeing all our friends at home, watching Husky football etc., of course I'm sad to be leaving camp. We've had an incredible summer up here. I love that Monica and Jack get to spend 2+ months learning to swim in salt water and getting dirty in the woods, and I think the summer's shown us that they love it too. Everyone has been asking us if we'll be back next summer... and while Anton and I have only had a few brief conversations about it, at this point we're planning on coming back unless the rest of life somehow dictates otherwise. Yesterday I was browing through some of the old staff annuals (yearbooks) and came across the one from year 2000 (ironically I was Head Commissioner that year too!) and read the "personal statement" I had written. Among other things, I said something like "if I have the choice between camp and any other way to spend a summer, I will always chose camp." Looking back eight years later, I'm floored that my statement has held true. The only summers I've missed since '96 were the ones where I took classes at Seattle U. And I'm fortunate that Anton loves camp (almost :) ) as much as I do, so I'm sure this summer won't be our last!


No comments:

"A person travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

-George Moore